Friday, May 16, 2008

Money Personified?

I recently came across a question that was posed about money. Michael Warden asked, "If Money were a person, how would you describe the nature of the relationship between you?"
At first, I brushed off the question with the thought that I didn't need Money...and our relationship would be indifferent, but then I read the question again.....Money personified...hmmm...

It would be unrealistic to think that I do not need money in our society. I don't think about money obsessively, I do think about it though...more now than when I was younger. Growing up, I watched my grandparents, aunts, and uncles generously provide for each other and for people outside our family regularly. If someone was in need, they found what was needed and gave it to them...cheerfully. That had a huge impact on how I view money and possessions. I always knew that if I was in need, my family would be there for me.

I believe Money is something to be respected. And though at times it has had influence over me, for the most part, I care for it. When it comes into my hands, I determine where, when, and how it should be spent. It is a give and take relationship. I do not hoard it (although I could probably learn to better invest it), I am willing to share it (others need it more than I do at times); the reality is that what I have can be taken away - I try not to take it for granted...sometimes I need Money and I am willing to work for it.

I have lived with very little and I have lived well off (comparatively speaking in my community) - even when I had very little I had more than 95% of the world's population. I made due with what I had...I was probably more regularly creative then and more tolerant in some ways (you know...with in-house visitors...moles, mice, bugs, even snakes...spiders were considered friends, the big ones were always named George - somehow the kids were less intimidated if the creature had a name).

Anyhow, I view money as a tool. If I do not have the right tool, I get creative and find a substitute or if no substitute can be found, I wait for God to provide through family, friends, or mysterious circumstances (it has happened, but that's another story).

Money personified - we could be friends...we could be strangers passing by each other with a glance between us...we could be partners...Money could control me, if I let it...Money could be a teacher to me...I could be Money's caretaker...Money could be a real jerk, seducing me with false promises...No matter how I imagine money, I still see it as a tool. A tool that can help or hinder me depending on how I handle it. Like I said, there is an amount of respect that is due money, in the sense that, how you choose to make money a part of your life can bless you or destroy you. It is your choice. I choose to trust God, not Money.

1 Timothy 6:10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.1 Timothy 6:9-11 (in Context) 1 Timothy 6 (Whole Chapter)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said. Thanks for your insightful and challenging words on a subject that few are curageous enough to desseminate.

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4