Friday, June 20, 2008

Did I Mention Cabin Fever?!

I am suffering illness right now, not fun. Just a cold that has managed to suck all, nearly all, my energy from me. But, I have also been out of commission for the past 5 weeks unable to work out, either at the gym or on the trail! Can you say cabin fever?! I had a mountain biking crash, which I might add, was so good that I won the award for best crash! If you are going to do something, give it your best right!?

Anyhow, this setback has made me realize a couple of things. First, I need to be around people. I like my alone time - definitely- but I also like to be around people - humans being made for relationship and all...it makes sense. Did I mention cabin fever?? Also, I miss working out. Like I have mentioned in the past, I can be very determined (when I want to be) and this translates into pushing myself too hard sometimes...the crash, by-the-way, was not a technical error - long story short - proper shoes are a must when mountain biking!

I was smart enough this time (yeah, I have had a few sports injuries...) to recognize that I really had to take time off from my regular workout routine in order to heal properly. This has been an absolutely excruciatingly painful (psychological) process, not being able to just go and do -I have had to exercise self-control and patience...easier said than done! I would test the waters every 4 or 5 days - go for a walk - 6km, a little too far...4km - more tolerable...around the block - that's where I am at...oi! Did I mention cabin fever?!

The nice thing about this whole experience has been the lack of running. If you had read my previous posting titled 'Michael' you would understand where I might be going with this; however, you may be surprised to read that during this time, despite previous grievances, I longed to run anywhere, for any amount of time, just go...! And I couldn't even do that! This is where I would like to bring in the life lesson. I have to admit that I am oh-so grateful that, normally, I can do all that I can do physically - I am truly blessed to be able to hop on my bike and take off through the trails for a few hours in the day or slip to the gym for a couple of hours and work different muscle groups (all-the-while listening to music or watching TV at that!). This time off has reinforced to me how many blessings there are in my life - my body, my city, my country, my family and friends...I am thankful for all of them! (And proper shoes too.)

Most of all, I am thankful that my crash wasn't as bad as it could have been...I am convinced God kept me from a more serious injury, despite my foolishness. What a God we serve! Thank you Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4