Thursday, September 25, 2008

40 Day Fast...From Blogging...Or A Day of Fasting...For Direction

Have you ever considered fasting for 4o nights and 40 days? No? Good. It is not for you to consider. It is something that the Holy Spirit will prompt you to and enable you to accomplish.

Recently, it was brought to my attention that I should perhaps fast from blogging for 40d....it was in jest and I took it as such; however, others might be called to a fast from blogging, or meat, or a traditional fast prompted by the Holy Spirit for real. And that is something to take seriously. Many people step out and commit to a one day fast and humbly turn their hearts over to God to seek His direction. By doing so, you are making a stand of humility, recognizing God's sovereignty over the situation, and your need for Him to counsel you.

In Isaiah 58, the Lord speaks of the type of fasting He requires...6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? 7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? 8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard." Isaiah 58 (Whole Chapter)


Interesting eh? When you look at the world today, especially in light of this 700B that the American government is considering dropping into existence to, hopefully, resuscitate a damaged economy...and yet we can't locate the money needed to aid victims of poverty, hunger, childhood preventable diseases, contaminated water, AIDS...shall I go on? It is sickening. (no pun intended)

There are elections coming up for both the Americans and for the Canadians...Consider your candidates carefully. Don't vote for a certain candidate just because "that's how my family has always voted", but vote for the candidate that you recognize as being the best choice. I know, it is government and who can you really trust? But, perhaps, this is where you might consider a day of fasting and prayer seeking God's direction...



For those who are interested in seeing images of the social and economic world go here:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/cartograms/

For those interested in Christian social responsibility go here:
http://www.sojo.net/

For those interested in the Millennium Development Goals or End Poverty 2015 go here:
http://www.endpoverty2015.org/

3 comments:

lynnmosher said...

Great post! I love, love, love your blog! Thank you so much for leaving me a special comment on mine. When I came here to visit, lo and behold, you had my blog listed! Wow! What an honor! Thank you so much. I've listed yours on mine as well. With so many blogs floating around in cyberspace, I'm so glad the Lord brought us together! May the Lord richly bless you in all your efforts to serve Him.

And said...

Hey you Misti Pearl Girl!

Liked this one a lot - very timely for me... have been working for the UN for the past few months, and the MDG have been a big part of my work there. What an eye-opener it's been. A gentle yet forceful kick in the butt you might say.

Don't want to lose you again ok? I'm a lousy 'keeper in toucher' but I will try (Ontario end of October, and I think I might zip up north, can I drop in? And if so, where do I drop?) Hugs

MistiPearl said...

Hey!!!Talk about a wonderful surprise in the morning...email me at mistipearl@hotmail.com when you are around and I will direct you from there:)
Great to hear from you!!!
~mp:)

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4