Thursday, March 5, 2009

Lord of my Life

As I was scrolling through some of my favourite blog sites this morning, I came across this posting on Morning Coffee with Renae which spoke to this scripture:

Mark 15:29-32 (NIV)
Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads and saying, "So! You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, come down from the cross and save yourself!"
In the same way the chief priests and the teachers of the law mocked him among themselves. "He saved others," they said, "but he can't save himself! Let this Christ,[
a] this King of Israel, come down now from the cross, that we may see and believe." Those crucified with him also heaped insults on him. Mark 15

As I got to pondering these words, I wondered to myself how I would respond as I walked by Jesus hanging on the cross. At this point in my walk, I decided, I would be heartbroken to see His body hanging battered and bruised beyond recognition...In fact, I would probably be outraged...but I know who He is and what He is doing, so I would probably flank myself as close to the cross as possible with my face to the ground and weep - and I am thinking that it would be more than just a bitter weeping, but a deep groan of absolute brokenness that would pour forth uncontrollably from my body. That's my Saviour, my King, my Love hanging there....

A number of years ago; however, I could easily see myself walking right past the cross with little more than an attitude of disgust and a desire to get as far away from Jesus hanging on the cross as possible.

There was a time when I walked away from God. I was so angry at Him! He had failed me and failed me...or so I thought. The reality was that I really did not know God. I knew of Him, but I had a very shallow relationship with Him and to me, He was more of a 'genie' than the Saviour of my soul.

Yet, He is a relentless God of great patience and infinite love....

Mercifully, He did not give up on me and He worked things together such that I would come to know Him better and better. The Truth of who He is, of what He is...

He is not the 'genie' to my cater to my whim...He owes me nothing. I owe Him everything.

I attempt each day, to focus on Him and to offer my body as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1-3) to the Lord and Saviour of my life - Jesus Christ.
Today, I give thanks to Jesus for enduring the cross - a gratefulness that is really quite insufficient to the One who saved me from my sin and set me free...Thank-you Jesus.

1 comment:

Renae said...

Thanks for always being so transparent in your writing, my friend. Excellent post.

Thanks for the link, too. ;-)

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4