Thursday, April 23, 2009

Musing this Morning

I awoke this morning with much on my mind. I am thinking about my future, my voice - how I want to speak and how I want to be heard. James 3:8 speaks about how the tongue cannot be tamed, we have tamed many things, but the tongue...well, it has a mind of its own or rather, it seems to have a more direct link to our brain, such that it can bypass consciousness and wisdom and spew out arrows with the accuracy of a veteran sniper.

With the help of the Holy Spirit, we can put a reign on our tongue; however, we must choose to do so. This would require self-control and submission. Two words that we often stumble over in the best of times. How much more would we stumble over these when someone insults us or humiliates us? In a situation such as that, allowing the tongue to lash out would be quite satisfying, right? Perhaps, but only for a moment. With the lashing out, we soothe the wound in our own heart with a salve that can easily and readily turn to the poison of bitterness and pride - be forewarned. Lashing out is not as clever as you would like to think it is.

This is why James wisely recommends everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. James 1:18-20

And with that, I set out about my day with this prayer: Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips. Psalm 141:3 May my tongue be used to build up my brothers and sisters and to glorify God.

Shalom - Smiles and blessings to your day!
~mp:)

No comments:

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4