Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Perspectives

I am a man...............I am a man
a happy man...............a sad man
though I don't have a lot.......I don't have enough
I feel like the happiest.......I feel like the saddest
person alive. ......person alive.

I wake up every morning
pray to my God
make a yummy breakfast
of rice and fresah orange juice
.......I wake up every morning
.......too early to even

I hug my children.......hug my children
good-bye.......good-bye

At work I get paid.......At work I get paid
barely minimum wage
.......more than most
I can live on it
.......Its not enough

I try to get home.......I try to get home
as soon as I can.......as late as I can
.......Its a hellish place
its a happy place
.......I think my wife is
My wife is superb.......cheating on me
I love her.......I loved her

My children.......My children
Sally
.......Jane
Nathan
.......Allie
Noah
.......Liam
are angels.......are devils
They don't have.......They have
the best education........the best education
They never whine
.......They always whine
for new toys and.......for new toys and
clothes. ......clothes.

I get home to.......I get home to
hugs and kisses.......screaming and kicking
.......my children's faces
my children's faces.......masked with fear
glowing and happy.

Before bed.......Before bed
I check my.......I check my
finances.......finances.

I tuck my.......I walk past
children into.......my children's
bed and tell.......room and sigh
tell them a story.......thinking of old stories

I get into bed
hug my wife........I get into bed
.......feel the cold side
.......where my wife
.......should be

and think.......and think
I am the happiest.......I am the saddest
person alive........person alive.

~by Samantha D. Irvine
*To be read by two in unison.

1 comment:

Laura said...

This is a great Poem Sam....you should definitely continue your writing career.

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4