Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Maslow's Hierarchy and Guarding

I suppose I should write something. I have been reading over my blog posts of late and noticed that I have not been so "revealing" as of late. It's not a bad thing, just a slight change in gears I suppose. There are many parts to my story that have led me to be more guarded recently...Guarded...to guard...watch over...protect...protection...safety...safe. Safety is something I long for...I suppose we all desire to be safe. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs mentions it:
Though I am not convinced that this chart is thoroughly accurate, I do believe that we all need to feel safe.  When you don't feel safe, it messes with your mind...then your behaviour...and you ususally end up guarded.

Guard:
guard (n.)
early 15c., "one who keeps watch," from M.Fr. garde "guardian, warden, keeper," from garder "to guard," from O.Fr. guarder (corresponding to O.N.Fr. warder, see gu-), from Frankish *wardon, from P.Gmc. *wardo- (see ward (v.)). Abstract or collective sense of "a keeping, a custody" (as in bodyguard) is from early 15c. Sword-play and boxing sense is from 1590s. (Online Etymology Dictionary)
 
We shut others out, we pull back, we become defensive, we guard that what we treasure the only way we know how.  This survival or coping mechanism is all part of the journey of life.  Learning what and when to guard is probably one of the toughest challenges we encounter as we navigate through this earthly existance.  It is interesting that when we have no one to depend upon and we do not know what to do otherwise, we then consider God. (It speaks to the truth of our true being...spiritual beings having an earthly experience...just passing through.)  Really, we should be turning to God first, but often times we don't. It is a control issue. When we feel in control, we feel safe. When we feel out of control (when we are out of control), we feel threatened...unsafe.
 
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus ~Philippians 4:7
 
You know, when I think about all the times that I felt unsafe, I distinctly recall praying asking for God to protect me and then having a peace or a new resolve. I am very thankful that God provides for us that way. The times that God seemed to elude my request only forced me to depend on Him more...seek Him out more deliberately.  He wants us to trust Him and to turn to Him - and not just when we are in trouble, but all the time.  ''Walk with Me," He says.
 
So, am I going to reveal what it is that is leaving me more on guard these days?
 
...nope...
 
Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. ~Proverbs 4:23 ...God and I are working on this together.

1 comment:

Robert said...

Hi Misti- Loved your collage because it truly does represent how I feel sometimes as well. I think I pour myself out maybe a lil too much on my blog at times. It is a tough call deciding what is too much/too little and balancing what is shared. I think you do a very balanced sharing on here. I think Maslow has his categories right, just needs Gods direction to fill in whats needed Always love reading your writing my friend xoxo

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4