Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Michael...

Yeah...So, I had an appointment with my fitness trainer, Michael, to revamp my program and my goals. Together we determined what I wanted to accomplish over the next few months and, he, (being Michael), comes up with a wonderful plan to reach my goal.



First of all, a little about Michael...he is good at what he does (and it shows), he knows me well enough to know how to challenge me, and he is patient (he doesn't let me sidestep any of my regimen, no bs allowed) --- I like this, I respect him for these qualities, among others. That being said, I was ticked at him today!



Today, the best program for me to reach my goal includes (of all things) RUNNING!!! ARG!!!



In case you missed the tone of that last sentence....I do not like running. If I had to run, I would consider cross country running - its fun, interesting, and challenging....but running on a treadmill or on pavement for that matter, has got to be the most mind numbingly BORING exercise!!!


Notice the picture - NO ONE is smiling or looking even remotely happy!!!


Oops...did you hear that?? That was the growl of every runner/jogger that takes some perverse pleasure from running on a treadmill, or road, or hamster wheel - whatever, as they prepare to rebuke me with strong words to their defense.


Okay...Okay...my words were harsh, I know...and running can actually free up your brain for working through whatever dilemma-du-jour, helping a person relax both physically and mentally...actually, I have a lot of respect for runners who can run for more than 10-15 minutes...envy? perhaps...And running really is one of the best ways to get your heart in shape...And one of the best ways to lose body fat overall...yada yada...


Sigh...I am resisting...I am resisting that which I need to face and conquer. So...I cannot rant any longer - I need to stand tall, change my attitude, and run. Not away from this task, I need to take on this running business as a challenge that will help me become stronger, more fit. And one day, I may be able to encourage someone else who is in the same situation as I am in now, and I will be able to say, "I stopped resisting, I took up the challenge, and I conquered it...so can you!" (Can you hear the music in the background...place your hand over your heart if you really want to get into the mood...)


Okay - Seriously, I will change my attitude, I will try to find some enjoyment in this running program, and I will reach my goal. I will not be defeated, I am an overcomer...(the music is starting up again, I guess I should quit while I am ahead)....MAN, this is going to take some serious work just to change my attitude...I will do it though, I must, I want to reach my goal!



Strangely, I am reminded of this scripture....
1 Corinthians 9:24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.1 Corinthians 9:23-25 (in Context) 1 Corinthians 9 (Whole Chapter)

Who says God doesn't have a sense of humour....

No comments:

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4