Friday, October 10, 2008

A Prayer at Yom Kippur

Yom Kippur was yesterday, it is the day of Atonement in the Jewish calendar. A day where you humbly come before God to seek forgiveness for your sins. A friend of mine presented me with this prayer that was written to be spoken on this day. I believe the author may be Rachel Barenblat.

AL CHET SHECHATATI L’FANECHA... ...על חטא שחטאתי לפניך

I need to speak these words aloud and to know that the universe hears them.I get caught in old patterns and paradigms; I am stubborn and hard-headed.In the last year I have missed the mark more than I want to admit.Forgive me, Source of all being, for the sin I have sinned before you
By allowing my body to be an afterthought too often and too easily;
By not walking, running, leaping, climbing or dancing although I am able;
By eating in my car and at my desk, mindlessly and without blessing;
By not embracing those who needed it, and not allowing myself to be embraced;
By not praising every body's beauty, with our quirks and imperfections.
By letting my emotions run roughshod over the needs of others;
By poking at sources of hurt like a child worrying a sore tooth;
By revealing my heart before those who neither wanted nor needed to see it;
By hiding love, out of fear of rejection, instead of giving love freely;
By dwelling on what's internal when the world is desperate for healing.
By indulging in intellectual argument without humility or consideration;
By reading words of vitriol, cultivating hot indignation;
By eschewing intellectual discomfort that might prod me into growing;
By living in anticipation, and letting anxiety rule me;
By accepting defeatist thinking and the comfortable ache of despair.
By not being awake and grateful, despite uncountable blessings;
By not being sufficiently gentle, with my actions or with my language;
By being not pliant and flexible, but obstinate, stark, and unbending;
By not being generous with my time, with my words or with my being;
By not being kind to everyone who crosses my wandering path.
For all of these, eternal Source of forgiveness
Help me know myself to be pardoned
Help me feel in my bones that I'm forgiven
Remind me I'm always already at one with You.

1 comment:

rbarenblat said...

Thanks for reposting the poem! Yes, the poem is mine; you can find the original post here.

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4