Sunday, October 12, 2008

What Are You Grateful For?

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all my friends, family, and my blogging community a Happy Thanksgiving!

I am grateful for the love and support over this past year, for the words of encouragement spoken and written...oi, the words! If you have read The Five Love Languages written by Gary Chapman, you would know what I mean when I say that I receive love most powerfully by words. I am the type of person that will take 5 or 10 minutes (or more) to think of the right words to sign on a get well card for someone in the office. But, I am also greatly damaged by words. Are you familiar with the rhyme, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me"? This rhyme is a lie for me. (For most, I assume.) I am affected by words spoken, and especially written, that are negative in context and/or specifically meant to malign. I have learned though, to fight words with Words. The Word is my sword. When damaging words come my way, I fight back with the Living Word...For the Word of God is alive and powerful! This is one of the top most things I am thankful for this season. God's Word.

Another thing I am grateful for is the differing perspectives in this world and the challenge, for me, to defend my beliefs and the ability in my society to be able to defend and/or speak my beliefs without persecution. Without violence, to dialogue about issues is a blessed experience. I have learned so much, and there is so much more to learn about myself, about others, about the world, about God...it is a beautiful thing. I am thankful for freedom of speech.

I am also thankful for the beauty of God's creation. This past year has been a year of reclaiming my love for the outdoors. I grew up exploring, in wonder, the great outdoors. I did not travel around the world to survey the "greatest wonders" of the world, I only had to go to my backyard to find wonders of fantastic proportions. God has spoken to me, wooing me into a deeper relationship with Him by the beauty and wonder of His creation. And I am listening with not only my ears, but with my eyes, with touch, with my heart and soul. I am thankful that the Lord calls to me out of love for me.

Thankfulness, being grateful for all that we have is the theme of Thanksgiving, it should be the theme of each day, but this day, we take time to deliberately celebrate our blessings and the provision of our God. Despite this time of economic turmoil, we can still take time to be thankful, and I thank God that we do this nationally, Christian or not, expressing thankfulness for all that has come our way.

A personal favourite verse:
Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Colossians 3:14-16 (in Context) Colossians 3 (Whole Chapter)


No comments:

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4