Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Do You Always Act With Integrity?

Don't you hate it when people/businesses don't do what they say they are going to do?! This renovation project that I am immersed in currently is a real eye-opener when it comes to the integrity of those involved.
Now, I am usually cognizant of judging others (Matthew 7:1-5) and so, when I make this comment, I wonder about my own behaviour. I know there are times when I have not followed through on things and I was aware that I did not follow through...and I did feel some remorse, but not enough to do anything about it at the time.

What about you? Do you ever let your promises go unfulfilled?
Let your 'yes' be 'yes' and your 'no' be 'no', right? (Matt.5:37)
It comes down to personal integrity, does it not?

That being said, what is integrity?

Integrity in the dictionary is described as:
Function: noun
1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : incorruptibility
2 : an unimpaired condition : soundness3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : completeness
synonyms see honesty (via Merriam-Webster)

I find it intetesting that the etymology of the word is revealed to be:
integrity:c.1450, "wholeness, perfect condition," from O.Fr. integrité, from L. integritatem (nom. integritas) "soundness, wholeness," from integer "whole" (see integer). Sense of "uncorrupted virtue" is from 1548.

The only way we can be whole is with God.
 
I found 22 mentions of "integrity" in the NIV through BibleGateway.com

Integrity is a commendable attribute that governs our actions.  It  usually endears us to others; they, knowing that we can be counted on in our dealings, whether it be personal or professional. Which brings me back to my frustration.  I expect all businesses to be integral in their dealings. Remember when you could shake a person's hand to close a deal? Now, you need a stack of papers knee-high to make sure that each party involved will do as they said they would! And that creates a limit of expectation, forget about going above and beyond!

After reading through the verses that mention integrity in the Bible, I am further convicted to make a point of acting with integrity in my dealings, even when I don't feel like it. I would rather be known for having a stubborn integrity than being labelled undependable, dishonest, and/or corrupt.  Harsh words perhaps, but that is the reality of not exercising integrity.

So, heeding these words:
The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out.
~ Proverbs 10:9


The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity.
~Proverbs 11:3

And following the example of Christ,
 
They came to him and said, "Teacher, we know you are a man of integrity. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not? (Mark 12:13-17)

I lay before God my desire to act with integrity in all of my dealings, with His help and to His glory.

No comments:

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4