Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Truth and Perspective

How does finding out the truth change your perspective? I recently found out some disturbing information about the house I am currently residing in, not the house itself per se, but the previous owners and their activities within this house. Before I came here; however, I prayed. I prayed over the house and property as the Holy Spirit led. I claimed this house. When I found out this info, I looked at my house differently, yet I know what I know. This house is given to me by God for this season. I look at it like this: I am here for now and the legacy I leave in this house and on this property is directed to God's glory and whoever moves in here next, prayerfully, will be blessed by what I have done here - physically and spiritually.

Though I like this house, it is just a house. My heart pains for the previous owners, their season of being in this house was obviously rough for them. There is an attitude of shame when people speak of them in this place. 

What I know of  the original owners (the family that built this house way back in 1892), is that they were hard workers with much influence in the community, though not necessarily gratuitous financial influence. Their legacy associated with this place lives on favourably in many minds.

I only know a small part of each previous owner's story. The bits and pieces I have gleaned over the past few months are only a minute part of the truth of their existence. And, regardless of what I have learned, I am choosing to believe that this house was once a place of fellowship, love, and peace. 

Isn't that, so often, how we operate? Regardless of the truth, we choose to believe what we want to be true. Goodness! That is why we have so many Christian denominations, and religions for that matter! That aside, I know that believing the truth we want to be true can cause much heartache.

From personal experience, I went through a period where I was defamed, alienated from (what I thought were) friends and family, and even my church because some people sought to take a truth and twist it into horrid lies. (Sound familiar?) What they wanted to believe negated the truth of what was. And it caused me (among others) much heartache...I am still recovering.

When Eve and Adam, listened to the deception of Satan, they exchanged truth for what they wanted to believe...and that ended in heartache for not only them, but all humanity!

How does finding out the truth change your perspective?

When those of us learn of the truth of Jesus and what He did for us, we choose to believe or we choose not to believe...It is our choice. We cannot change the Truth. It exists regardless of  what we want to believe. It is how we respond to that truth that determines how we live out our life and how much heartache we experience and cause others to experience.

Proverbs 23:23
Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding.
John 5:24
"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."
Acts 20:30
Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them.
Romans 1:25
They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

No comments:

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4