Monday, February 22, 2010

What Does "I believe in you" Mean?

Who believes in you?
Who do you believe in?


I have always had trouble with this phrase. I mean, what does it mean to "believe" in someone. To "believe" in God - I understand. To believe in a person...well, it leaves me wondering. I don't say, "I believe in you" very often. If I have, it was meant as encouragement, but I am really not sure what I mean by it per se.


For example, I can say: "I believe you can do it!" Which makes sense right? You perhaps see that the person can surpass their expectation and you are encouraging them to do so.


But, "I believe in you." Does that mean the person didn't exist until someone believed in them? (That's pretty disheartening on many levels.) Does it mean that you believe they can do anything they set their mind to do? Does it mean you idolize them?


For some reason, I like the phrase, though I don't really understand it. It is comforting in the sense that someone is willing to care and show support, but it still baffles me.

What does it mean to you when you say, "I believe in you?"



(This Youtube video is [my favourite singer;)], Josh Groban singing, "You're Still You.")

Just throwing it out there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it means you believe the person is being real, or in other words, not fake. It means you believe the person is being their whole and true self, what ever that may be. So if you are speaking in terms of encouragement, if you were to say, I believe in you, I think it means you think that are for real about whatever it is they are saying they want to do and that you take them seriously and cheer them on.

MistiPearl said...

Insightful...Thank you for sharing!

RAHIM MAAROF said...

I do not like the word BELIEVE, It can to very disappointing. Not even in speaking term.
I would rather say, I trust you can do it.

Have a good day, I trust you will.

Regards
Rahim Maarof
blog: Here I go again and again...................

Unknown said...

Trust and belief are one and the same. To say that I believe in someone would imply that I have taken into consideration all of the potential and actions of that person and have deemed them capable of achieving whatever it is they said they desire to achieve or will achieve.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion the phrase "I believe in you" means


I believe you are who you say you are.
I believe you can do what you say you will do.
I trust you to do what you say you will do.

Anonymous said...

This website is amazing, thank you for creating it, I been thinking about that a lot lately and I came across this, and it clear the air for me.

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4