Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What Will We Do In Heaven?

I was watching a Nova program last night. The series is exploring the telescope past and present (and future), and being fascinated by the heavens, I was greatly awed at the images and the vastness of the universe being shown. It was pointed out that we have only seen 5% of the universe (not sure how that number was determined, given that the universe could be infinite). Using that number and factoring in the reality that we only use 10% of our brain...there are a lot of unknowns yet to be discovered! What we are truly capable of is yet to be determined.

This realization comes at a time when I am wondering what we all will be doing in heaven. I mean, I do not believe for an instant that we will be strumming harps and singing hallelujah 24/7...so what will we be doing? And won't it be boring if there is no challenge? Think about that. If heaven is perfect, where are the challenges? Will we not require stimulation, just exist in a state of contentment? What will we do in heaven?

It is not a topic that you hear much of, perhaps it is because there is not much said in the Bible accounting details of our existence at that point. Some have postulated that we will carry on in a modified version of what we are doing now. So, if you are an engineer, you will continue to do engineering type work. I think that suggestion falls far from the mark when you consider those who never worked, those who are doctors (who are they going to stitch up?), and what about funeral directors?! 

Personally, I believe that what we will do for eternity has something to do with the other 90% of our brain power and the vast universe that remains a mystery to us at this point. We are explorers, we are inventors, we are keepers, we are God's children...He will provide and He will not disappoint!

Back to the present. Because there is little said about the afterlife and much said about getting there, I would have to resign myself to the idea that Abba wants our focus to be on the now with hope in the life to come. Without that focus, many would not experience the wonders of the life to come and we know that Abba wishes that none would perish, but all have eternal life with Him...We need to spread the Word! So, as much as I am in awe of the vastness of the universe, the wonders yet unknown, the potential of our being, I must remember our primary calling at this point: Matt 28:19-20
We are called to share the Love and Truth of our Lord Jesus Christ - in what we do and in what we say. In doing so, others will come to know Jesus as their personal Lord and Saviour and they too will share in the wonders of eternal life with God.

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.
So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it.
Stick with me, friends. Keep track of those you see running this same course, headed for this same goal. There are many out there taking other paths, choosing other goals, and trying to get you to go along with them. I've warned you of them many times; sadly, I'm having to do it again. All they want is easy street. They hate Christ's Cross. But easy street is a dead-end street. Those who live there make their bellies their gods; belches are their praise; all they can think of is their appetites.
But there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him.
~Phillippians 3:12-21(The Message)

No comments:

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4