Monday, June 20, 2011

Screw Good.

You know, it is easy to serve God when you are single and alone (...that is: whether you are married or not, and/or just isolated). I say this because it seems to me that people get in the way of our walk with God. I can walk with Him in a sea of people and be content and filled with the Holy Spirit, oblivious to my effect on the masses, but the moment I reach out, all hell breaks loose!

Now, the fact is we are made for relationship with Him and with others, but it does not change the fact that some people are royal speedbumps in the road of life. (author included)

How does that Word go?..."Do not give up doing good"...? Bah Humbug! Screw good. Oh wait. That wasn't very "Christian" of me...But it was very real.

Sometimes I get tired. It doesn't mean that I don't believe in God or that I have left the faith or whatever. It just means I am human. Yep. News to the world. I. Am. Human. A person who still makes mistakes, who still gets frustrated with other Christians, who gets tired of always doing the "right" thing...I have my moments. Ultimately, those times are more between me and God than me and whoever else; however, oftentimes the "whoever else's" think it is between me and them...it is actually less so than their egos can take and they/we tend to make it about them and them....I mean me...and them. (Catch the "we"...I do it too..no condemnation here folks, just the facts.)

So, where does that leave me/us ? Right where God wants us. Scruffy, dirty, beaten, and breathless before Him, ready to be washed clean...again. And for those of you who think that you would never appear before God that way...well...you are a fool. He did not come to save the righteous(...and none of us are). He came to save us from the evil that seeks to destroy us. God is persistent, gentle- yet firm, full of lovingkindness (hesed), convicting- not condemning.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God.

It is much easier to walk with God alone...we don't get so dirty...but then again, we also don't get the cleaning that we need. ...Think about it.

Shalom

3 comments:

Steve F. said...

Forgive the non-gender-neutral language... butI am reminded of storyteller Gamble Rogers' great line: "Never blame a man for bein' human .... unless he makes a habit of it."

I am entirely human. There are days when I feel like I have been lifted just shy of "near Heaven" and other days when I feel like something a 7 year old put together, and only part of it works. Same soul, same body, same God. Both/and - both saint and sinner, both damnable and redeemable.

I always know I will find something worth reading when I come to your blog. Us humans gotta stick together.

Michael said...

It's easier to "be good" when it's not "for goodness' sake" but rather straight from the heart. When you're in touch with God, it's not "being good," it's being yourself. If you're following rules (e.g., the ten commandments), "good" is an effort. When God is in your heart, it's natural.

It's hard to get in touch with God when even church gets in the way, though. Few have found the way, and I don't think they're in church.

Robert said...

I love the word hesed Misti. It epitomizes Gods lovingkindness and perseverance in love. So good to come back and read your writings, see your journey. Sartre, the founder of existentialism said *hell was other people* Guess he didn't think that *other people* would thus see him as hell. Very solid thoughts as always MP :D

Featured Post

They Did Not Realize

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. ~John 21:4